Thursday, July 19, 2012

Inspired By Tagore

"I have become my own version of an optimist. If I can't make it through one door, I'll go through another door - or I'll make a door. Something terrific will come no matter how dark the present."
Rabindranath Tagore


Rabindranath Tagore is such an inspiring poet. I love the positive outlook he has on life that shines through in his writing. Recently, as in, a few months ago, I won a prize for the International Writing Competition: "Inspired by Tagore", a good feeling to know that I can inspire others too :-)

Here is the poem that won a prize from the competition :-)


Refugee Prayer


When I think about peace
I always think about a calm place
white
awash with sounds
wind lifting dunes
like the curls of a fossil
somewhere
where the gun does not point at my father
and me
nor beats my mother
I remember the day Communist soldiers stole
her wedding ring
tossed it on the ground
where the red opal stirs memory
bleeding this changeling to madness
somewhere
where there is no machine gun rattle
as mother tucks me in bed
while she whispers a prayer
for an island across the sea
away from this rubble of a country
lying awake on the refugee boat
listening to the vast ocean
making conversation
peace
          peace
                    peace


No comments:

Post a Comment