Saturday, November 3, 2012

For my KBC peeps

Recently a friend from church posted on Facebook about the smell of rain. I have always loved the pleasant aromas accompanied by rain, there's something so therapeutic and calming about the whole experience. Recently at dusk, I turned off the electrical light bulbs in the shower room, (while having a shower) to focus in and enjoy the sounds and smells of rain (which I thought, enhanced my enjoyment of it, possibily by shutting out one sense of sight, to enhance the sound and smell). I always feel compelled to be writing poetry on rainy days, or being tucked up on the couch while reading a book, Jane Eyre I'm reading at the moment. In any case, here's a poem I wrote during 2011 dedicated to the smell of rain, or as some others may call it, "petrichor". It earnt me a prize in the Ipswich Poetry Feast Competition, 2011, where I received 15 hours mentorship with a renouned poet, and a certificate of "Highly Commended". Well, today there's some promising clouds outside, and can offer more possibilities of petrichor! Enjoy.  



Petrichor

A
lull
in the
first rain
after a dry
spell breathes
a suspense like
no other. Its silence
calms the exhaustion of
hysterical trees shrugging
off drought. Its scent lingers
between blackberry lanes that
bare their chests to the drizzle,
air-coffeed with earth. Its arrival
is crystal chrysalis awakening on
hot tin roofs like popcorn baking.
The remains are along staves of
fence wire, hanging dewdrops
of broken notes. They offer
peace, that is a trickling
sun, to the puddle's
heartbeat...
plop

(c) Vuong Pham

 
P.S. Another good place to enjoy rain is 'RainyMood.com', you won't regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment